Thursday, November 29, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie Goolash

Ok, I am still learning to cook. Prior to meeting my Hubby, I thought the one thing I was good at was chicken pot pie. After having our daughter, however, I soon realised I didnt have the time to spend chopping everything up. So- I went to Pinterest (Thank Heavens for Pinterest). I tried several different recipies, but they really wearnt to our families liking. We like thicker broth, meat, and lots of veggies.

So here is one variation we like:
3 chicken breasts (I usually have frozen ones that are individually packed from Costco or the ones we canned for food storage. If they are canned and have a lot of juice, I usually skip adding the chicken broth)
2 potatoes
1 lb carrots
celery
1 lb frozen or 1 can peas
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of mushroom (you can use cream of chicken if you don't like mushroom)
1/2 bay leaf
salt and pepper
Crust (I use Pillsbury- I always keep several in the freezer) or bread

Place Crock Pot on High. Put in the can of Chicken Broth (or if using canned with a lot of juice, skip this step). Cut up and add the potatoes, about a pound of carrots and couple celery stalks (or as many as you think your family likes). Take the 1/2- 1 bay leaf (depending on potency) and throw it in. Stir crock pot to mix contents. Take the chicken breasts and place on top. Add salt and pepper enough to cover chicken. Wait 3-4 hours if chicken was frozen, 2-3 if chicken is cooked; just check it until the chicken is fully cooked. When the chicken is fully cooked, take a spatula or using 2 forks, pull the chicken apart and mix the crock pot. At this point, add the peas and the cream of mushroom soup. If you are doing a frozen crust, take it out at this point to thaw. Let crock pot sit another 10-15 minutes.  If you see the bay leaf, remove it.
You can eat the Chicken pot pie, or as we call it goolash (A random mixture of ingredients) at this point with  bread, but if you prefer a crust, spoon into individual servings and add crust top and bake;
Or with the help of hot pads, take the ceramic crock pot out of it's metal casing. Take crust and place in the pot over the pot pie. Pike crust with a fork. Put the ceramic pot in the oven without lid (the lid handle will melt if it goes in the oven) for the directions on your crusts box, or until golden brown.

Although my explanation sounds a little complicated, this is a super easy dinner to make and everyone loves it. Just make sure to tell everyone of the Bay Leaf- you wouldn't want to eat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment